Subscribe via RSS Feed

Category: black mold

Black Mold Symptoms and How to Remove the Toxic Mold from Your Home

[ 0 ] December 5, 2011

Black Mold Symptoms

Black mold is a nasty fungi that you don’t want in your home and prompt mold removal is a must. The toxins from this deadly fungus mimic other illnesses and continue to make you sicker and sicker until your health severely declines. Several years ago I was a victim of toxic mold.  They began growing in my bathroom and continued into my bedroom. At that time there wasn’t much information or concern about black mold, so I didn’t know I was exposing myself to a serious health problem. In fact, it wasn’t until I removed myself from that home that I realized my health was suddenly getting better.  And it wasn’t until I began doing research on toxic mold that are realized I’d been exposed to them.

Toxic Mold Signs and Symptoms

If you smell a stale musty odor, particularly in the basement, attic or bathroom, it is most likely that you have a toxic mold in your home. You may also smell a stale odor in your central air unit or portable air conditioner. Or you may see splotches of a grayish white substance growing on surfaces such as walls, ceilings or other moisture problem areas.

If you’ve been exposed to toxic mold like I had been, you may experience headaches on a regular basis, migraines, ear infections, a runny nose, red itching and watery eyes that may mimic allergies, fatigue, shortness of breath, unexplained nose bleeds, a skin rash or sore throat are just a few of the many symptoms that these molds can cause in people. However, you should keep in mind that the symptoms will vary and you should see your doctor to verify whether or not your symptoms are caused by black mold or something else. 

The symptoms I experienced were migraines that surfaced at least three times a week, allergies and chest congestion that just wouldn‘t go away no matter what medication I tried, and fatigue that I experienced on an almost daily basis. I also realized that when I was away from my home for a long period of time, my symptoms went away, which is almost always another sign that you have been exposed to toxic mold.

Getting Rid of the Black Mold

If you are fairly certain that you have a toxic fungus growing in your home you must take immediate action to remove it.  So many people don’t believe just how serious these molds can be.  They put the task of removing the toxic mold on their to-do list and almost always find some sort of excuse to leave it for another day because it’s another chore they don’t really want to do.  But if you don’t eliminate these deadly house molds, your exposure to them can become deadly itself, especially if you have little ones, pets, and elderly living in your home.

If you even suspect there is a problem with toxic mold growing in your home you should first have the air tested to find out just how serious it is.  However, keep in mind that depending on the company you hire, the testing can get quite expensive. But it is well worth it when it comes to your health.

Once you know for certain whether not you have a problem with black mold, your next step is cleaning up. And depending on whether or not you have a small amount of growth or a large amount (which is anything 10 square feet or more), will depend on whether you should hire a professional or you can do it yourself.

If it is a job you can do on your own, you will need to invest in some protective gear such as a respirator, eyewear, and rubber gloves. You will also need to purchase a commercial cleaner that is designed to kill black mold. Keep in mind that not all commercial mold cleaners are the same.  Also, no matter what you read or hear, bleach is not a good alternative to killing mold because it cannot penetrate below the surface with the spores of the fungus can hide.

In some cases, you may need to remove and replace materials that have been exposed to the toxic spores.  Drywall is a good example of this. Before you began the cleanup process, you should block off any areas that can be exposed to the spores since they can become airborne when they are disturbed. You should also repair any leaks that may be the source for the moldy growth. Then you can begin cleanup. 

Always follow the manufacturer’s directions on the mold removal product label.  It may also be helpful to wash the affected area with soap and water before applying the product. Once you’ve applied the mold cleaner, allow it to dry for the time indicated and repeat the manufacturer’s directions if necessary. After the mold removal is completed, you’ll want to be sure the area is kept dry to prevent a future problem with mold.

 

Water Damage Black Mold Removal

Water Damage Black Mold Removal

[ 2 ] July 7, 2010

Water Damage Black Mold

Mold belongs to a group of fungi that consists of over a million species. Aside from looking bad in your home, most molds don’t cause any problems. However, black mold is a different story. It’s a greenish-black toxic organism, which could result in serious health hazards. You definitely don’t want to see it in your home. Water damage can cause it to grow. Then you have to deal with water damage black mold removal.

Signs of a Toxic Situation

Signs of black mold should be something you’re familiar with. Every homeowner should be aware of and take mold removal steps to get rid of this harmful organism. It’s also important to note that just like with any kind of toxin, there are people who are more sensitive than others. People with respiratory disease or allergies should be particularly cautious.

Black mold symptoms vary from person to person. The most common symptoms are difficulty concentrating, light-headedness and headaches. Furthermore, allergy-driven responses are also common such as coughing, watery eyes, throat irritation and sneezing.

Locations

This toxic mold can grow just about anywhere. It’s commonly found in ceiling tiles, water-soaked wood, cardboard and paneling. It can also grow on insulation and drywall, and can grow in walls, ceilings and floors. Basements and bathrooms are the rooms most often affected.

When you are planning to clean up this type of problem, you should first understand the extent of the problem. In fact, it’s a good idea to have your home tested. You can purchase mold testing kits from home improvement stores.

Take the kit home, get a sample of the mold and place it into a container that comes with the kit. Send it off, and a lab tests the sample. You’ll find out if there’s cause for alarm.

Another option is to call a local mold removal company to check your home. That might be easier if you don’t want to deal with collecting samples. The company can inspect your home and provide an idea of the type of mold you have.  However, they’ll probably have to run a test as well. If you do have a toxic problem, the company will tell you how to proceed.

If possible, children should be sent away from the place before proceeding to clean up the mold. Spores can get into the air and into the children’s lungs. Additionally, any person who is involved in the cleaning and eradication process should wear protective clothing, mask and gloves. Seal the room off from the rest of the house if possible.

Your main concern should be with water damage black mold removal. Even if there are other damages to the area, you can probably put them on hold. Getting rid of the water damage mold should be your first priority. Cleaning can be a long and tedious process, but it’s worth the trouble.

You and your family will breathe easier knowing the threat has been eliminated. To avoid further problems, keep your home clean and dry. That’s the perfect way to stop mold before it starts.

Page 1 of 3123