Subscribe via RSS Feed

Category: black mold

Black Mold Is Dangerous Stuff

[ 0 ] April 19, 2010

Black mold is one of the most deadliest molds known to man. Also referred to as Stachybotrys, this toxic mold can be found growing on carpets, baseboards, drywall, ceilings or anywhere there is even the slightest amount of moisture. It can be found in basements, kitchens, bathrooms, in attics, under crawlspaces and even away from the home.

But, because this fungus is extremely toxic, anyone who comes into contact with its spores by either touch or inhaling can develop cold or flu-like symptoms, fatigue, headaches, earaches, hair loss, joint pain, memory loss, bleeding of the lungs and in some rare cases, death. No one is immune, and the toxic fungi is particularly dangerous to those who have weak immune systems like with the elderly and infants.

That’s why it’s extremely important that anyone who comes in contact with this particular fungus apply a mold removal treatment to the affected area immediately. This can be done  by either the homeowner if done with extreme caution and the growth is under 10 square feet or by hiring a professional who can assist the homeowner in removing these particular types of mold.

And while it may seem economical to try and save some money when it comes to the cost of mold remediation, you should never hire anyone that isn’t certified and licensed for inspecting mold.

Once you’ve found the right professional for the job, you should expect the inspection to take anywhere from a few hours to a few days, depending on the extent of the mold and the damage they’ve caused.

Depending on the company you hire, the inspection may consist of inspecting for various types of mold including water damage mold, testing for the different molds, testing for any moisture problems, testing for allergy problems such as pollen, pet dander and dust mites, and testing for the quality of air that is in your home.

One of the most common tests that the inspector may do is a swab test that is swiped across a growing mold and then sent to a lab for analysis. The testing may occur in crawlspaces, hidden areas, the attic, bathroom, basement, kitchen or anywhere there is a moisture problem.

The inspection may even consist of analyzing the areas outside of your home that may be showing signs of mold growth using moisture meter testing, thermal imagine, and humidity testing. These tests are done to identify the nature of the molds and to show the homeowner what steps are necessary in order to begin the mold clean up process, if there are toxic molds involved.

However, even when the mold is not toxic, removing the mold is still very important since spores from other less dangerous molds can still lead to serious allergy problems, sinus infections and so forth.

No mold is safe, no matter how you  look at it and a black mold is just asking for serious trouble no matter how little or much of it you have in your home. Do what’s necessary to keep you and your home safe.

Page 3 of 3123