Water Damage Mold Remediation
Water damage mold remediation is the removal of mold caused by water damage. The process can cost you nothing or it can cost you a lot. It depends on the method of removal you decide to use. Read this article to learn more about mold remediation. You’ll also learn when you can do it on your own and when a professional service is recommended.
The Water Connection
Mold usually grows inside of homes because of water, humidity and condensation. The rooms most affected include the attic, bathroom, basement, wall interior and crawlspace. However, any room is at risk if the conditions are right. All mold needs is a nice damp and dark area to make itself at home.
Do You Need Help?
Mold isn’t always as scary as it seems. It looks frightening, but that’s usually the extent of the trouble.
A small amount of it in your shower or basement isn’t too serious. You can remove it on your own using a mixture of distilled vinegar and baking soda. Mix the ingredients to make a paste. Apply the paste to the problem areas, let it soak and then wipe it off. The mold should easily wash away. If it doesn’t, you can purchase a mold cleaner from a home improvement store.
Cleaning is only the first step in the process. You must also find the source of the problem. That means checking for leaks, places of condensation and humidity. It’s important to keep the area dry. Mold removal does nothing if the bad conditions still exist. You’ll just end up cleaning it away again in a few months.
What happens if you have a serious mold problem? What do you do if your basement looks like a horror film overrun with black slime? You call in a professional mold remediation service.
Is it Dangerous?
First of all, you’ll want to find out if the situation is toxic. It rarely occurs, but toxic black mold is dangerous. You’ll need more than vinegar and baking soda to get rid of it. Professionals should come in and check to make sure the situation isn’t toxic. You want to clean no matter what, but you might need to remove your family from the house.
If it is toxic, you shouldn’t try to remove it on your own. Leave it a professional team that has the proper training and equipment. Some people will say this is unnecessary in a small home. Usually, mold remediation is reserved for buildings such as schools or commercial spaces. However, a small home can have a big problem. If your problem is big, get the help you need.
It’s true that water damage mold remediation isn’t always necessary. That is at least, not in a home. Make sure you need the service before getting involved with anything. If you know the job is too big for you to handle, then ask for help. Otherwise, it’s probably a good idea to take care of the problem on your own.