Subscribe via RSS Feed

Category: Types of Mold

Clean House Mold from Your Home

[ 0 ] June 14, 2010

House Mold

House mold is a common problem in many homes. Bathrooms and basements are affected more often than other parts of the home. Generally, it might not be a big problem. You should always clean it away, but the situation might not be a threat to your health. However, that’s not always the case.

Mold removal is a good idea because mold can make some people sick. Sometimes people experience cold or flu-like symptoms. They can also have respiratory problems, asthma, rashes and sinus problems. Even worse, prolonged exposure to toxic black mold can cause lung bleeding and other serious conditions.

When the spores get into your lungs, they can cause all kinds of problems. The spores are invisible to the human eye, so you could breathe them in without knowing. Cleaning the home is the only solution.

The less you’re exposed the better. Some people are more likely to experience health problems following mold exposure. You may not be affected at all if you’re strong and healthy. The elderly, kids, pregnant women and people with allergies are more likely to be negatively affected.

Recognizing a Mold Problem

Usually, you can see the mold growing in your home. If round dark spots or stains start appearing in your home, you have a mold problem. You might see it on the walls, the floors or on fabrics in your home. Another clue is the smell. If you have an unexplained musty odor in your home, it’s probably caused by mold that’s hidden from sight. It can grow just about anywhere, so you’ll need to thoroughly search your home.

Organic material is a prime target. Items such as paper, wood, and dirt are often affected. Mold also grows on wet fabrics. That’s why you should always dry wet rugs as soon as possible.

You also shouldn’t let wet laundry sit around for days. If you do, you might get a nasty surprise when you’re ready to wash or dry the laundry. Plenty of clothes have been ruined this way.

It’s also very important to dry your home following a flood. The longer the area remains wet, the more likely a problem is to develop. Any kind of flood can lead to serious water damage mold.

A flood caused by bad weather, an overflowing sink, a stopped up toilet or leaky pipes are all sources of potential mold growth. Dry the area as soon as possible. You should also dry the walls, rugs, floors and anything else that got wet.

Watch out for peeling paint or sagging ceilings. These could be signs of a hidden leak. If you suspect a leak, find and repair it as soon as possible.

House Mold Removal

If a small area is affected, you can try to clean it on your own. Most people can easily clean house mold from their bathroom or kitchen. If a larger area is affected, you can hire a professional mold removal service. They’ll have the proper equipment to deal with the problem. Just make sure to check the credentials of any company you plan to hire.

Mildew Removal Tips

[ 3 ] May 5, 2010

Mildew Removal

Mildew removal isn’t just as easy as scrubbing down your shower walls. There’s more to it than that. In fact, this particular mold can be found just about anywhere there is moisture – from the bathroom to the kitchen and even your bedroom.

And when it comes to dealing with this bothersome fungus, we tend to just grab a kitchen or bathroom mold removal product and spray away! However, not all cleaners work the same just as not all molds are the same.

And although mildew is not as harmful as some types of mold, they can still cause allergy problems in some people if they’re not cleaned up.

But before you even decide on the right cleaner for this particular type of fungus, you need to know if that’s what you’re really dealing with or if it’s something more serious like a toxic mold. If it’s fuzzy in texture and gray or white in color, then chances are you’re dealing with mildew.

If it’s black or dark gray spots, then you most likely have a toxic fungus know as black mold and you’ll need a more serious mold clean up regimen.

If you know you’re not dealing with a toxic fungus, then it’s probably safe enough to just use a good cleaner designed for mildew. But, you’ll still want to choose the right cleaner even for this job.

For example, a bathroom tile spray, may not work quite as well on a kitchen counter top. And if you’re concerned about the environment or your health, you’ll want to stay away from mold cleaners that contain harmful chemicals like bleach or ammonia.

The good news is many manufacturers including some big name brands are getting on the bandwagon and offering greener cleaning products for just about every household job you can think of, including removing mold.

Still, with everyone wanting to reduce their budget, it’s often more economical to just make your own cleaning products when you can.

If you’d rather save as much money as you can, you might want to try using a simple mixture of hot water and baking soda to get rid of the fungus. If the surface area is more delicate such as a leather purse, you can dry brush the affected area using a soft bristle brush and then wash it using soap and water.

If you choose this method, you should clean the item outdoors to prevent spores from the fungus from spreading to other areas of your home.

Some items that are affected by mildewing may benefit from a mixture of lemon juice and salt, which can be rubbed onto the surface area. However, because lemon is a natural lightening agent, it’s not a good idea to use it on fabric materials since it could fade them.

And speaking of fabrics, if you absolutely must rely on bleach for your mildew removal purposes, a mixture of two tablespoons of bleach and one quart of warm water applied to white fabrics that are affected by the fungus may help.

However, it is not wise to use bleach on other materials since the chemical cannot penetrate below most surface areas where mold tends to hide.

Page 4 of 7« First...23456...Last »