Subscribe via RSS Feed

How to Kill Mold in Your Home

[ 2 ] July 15, 2010 |

Mold (fungi) is a threat when it appears in your home. Although most fungi are harmless, there are many incidents of families becoming sick from mold contamination. Perhaps it’s because of increased pollution in the atmosphere or badly constructed homes. Whatever the cause, reports of contamination are on the rise. Homeowners should learn how to kill mold before a dangerous situation develops.

You can get rid of mold easily. It’s not an active organism that you have to chase and catch, like a rodent. It just sits there waiting for you to get rid of it. Stores sell mold cleaning products that contain ingredients that kill all types of fungi. So getting it out of your home can be easy, depending on the situation.

Mold spores can spread during the mold removal process. You should protect other parts of your home during mold cleaning. Covering the door with a piece of heavy plastic can prevent spores from escaping. After you’re done cleaning, open a door or window to properly ventilate the room.

The bad news is mold can reoccur. Wiping it away isn’t the same as killing the problem. The only way to get rid of mold so that it never returns is to change your home’s atmosphere. You must make your home unattractive to fungi.

The first step is to cut off its moisture supply. Many homes have leaky pipes and siding that allows moisture, such as rain to seep inside. Taking care of these problems will reduce your chances of contamination or recontamination.

Poor ventilation is also a problem in humid rooms or climates. That leads to dampness, which encourages mold growth. If your attic or basement smells musty, it means some sort of fungi is growing there. Killing mold requires you to address all of these problems.

Humidity and excess moisture can be controlled with a dehumidifier. A dehumidifier removes some of the moisture from the air. If it’s a model with a HEPA filter, the dehumidifier will also filter the air.

A HEPA filter removes certain allergens from the air, such as spores, dust and pollen. Even if you don’t have mold, dehumidifiers are good for people with allergies. Dehumidifiers are the best things for controlling humidity. A fan is also a good way to circulate the air.

Mold doesn’t grow without a source of water. If humidity isn’t the problem, then you probably have a leak. You can make a visual inspection of your pipes. You may also have to hire a plumber to search inside the walls. If mold grows on a specific spot on the wall, there’s probably a leak behind it.

Floods can also cause fungi growth. If your home floods every time it rains, then you have a serious problem. Get your home checked to discover the source of the flooding. There could be serious structural damage to your home.

Knowing how to kill mold involves more than just washing it away. The steps in this article will help you get started.

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: mold removal

About Editor: The Mold Removal Review is a division of a U.S. Gulf Coast based consumer advocate information provider whose goal is to provide consumers with up to date information on high-demand goods and services related to mold removal. View author profile.

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Greg Hofmann says:

    This article contains exactly one line on how to actually kill/remove mold, “Stores sell mold cleaning products that contain ingredients that kill all types of fungi.” Who would have guessed?

    Article really deals with mold remediation which could be helpful information, but is not consistent with the title.

  2. Leann says:

    I think this is a good article on how to prevent mold in the first place. Killing it is a whole other process. Yes, you can find a good commercial product to kill mold, but what are our other options? I’m a little bit of a green freak when it comes to cleaning. I learned about 6 years ago that I’m extremely sensitive to anything with bleach in it. You might read the labels of the commercial cleaners you’re considering if you’re sensitive to bleach or other strong chemicals. And a lot of time store bought products just tell you to spray and wipe. I’ve learned there’s a lot more to cleaning up mold than just that. However, it also depends on the type of mold! Mold growing in your fridge is not the same as the stuff growing on your wall or plant! I’ve seen it all! Yuck! One thing I do want to point out. Always, Always…wear gloves at the very least when you’re cleaning any type of mold, dangerous or not. My son is allergic to mold and it’s not a pretty picture to have him sneezing all day long because he’s touched the stuff or been around it.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.