Mildew removal isn’t just as easy as scrubbing down your shower walls. There’s more to it than that. In fact, this particular mold can be found just about anywhere there is moisture – from the bathroom to the kitchen and even your bedroom.
And when it comes to dealing with this bothersome fungus, we tend to just grab a kitchen or bathroom mold removal product and spray away! However, not all cleaners work the same just as not all molds are the same.
And although mildew is not as harmful as some types of mold, they can still cause allergy problems in some people if they’re not cleaned up.
But before you even decide on the right cleaner for this particular type of fungus, you need to know if that’s what you’re really dealing with or if it’s something more serious like a toxic mold. If it’s fuzzy in texture and gray or white in color, then chances are you’re dealing with mildew.
If you know you’re not dealing with a toxic fungus, then it’s probably safe enough to just use a good cleaner designed for mildew. But, you’ll still want to choose the right cleaner even for this job.
For example, a bathroom tile spray, may not work quite as well on a kitchen counter top. And if you’re concerned about the environment or your health, you’ll want to stay away from mold cleaners that contain harmful chemicals like bleach or ammonia.
The good news is many manufacturers including some big name brands are getting on the bandwagon and offering greener cleaning products for just about every household job you can think of, including removing mold.
Still, with everyone wanting to reduce their budget, it’s often more economical to just make your own cleaning products when you can.
If you’d rather save as much money as you can, you might want to try using a simple mixture of hot water and baking soda to get rid of the fungus. If the surface area is more delicate such as a leather purse, you can dry brush the affected area using a soft bristle brush and then wash it using soap and water.
If you choose this method, you should clean the item outdoors to prevent spores from the fungus from spreading to other areas of your home.
Some items that are affected by mildewing may benefit from a mixture of lemon juice and salt, which can be rubbed onto the surface area. However, because lemon is a natural lightening agent, it’s not a good idea to use it on fabric materials since it could fade them.
And speaking of fabrics, if you absolutely must rely on bleach for your mildew removal purposes, a mixture of two tablespoons of bleach and one quart of warm water applied to white fabrics that are affected by the fungus may help.
However, it is not wise to use bleach on other materials since the chemical cannot penetrate below most surface areas where mold tends to hide.