Mold sure does cause serious problems. It’s a simple fungus, but it grows on just about anything. As long as moisture is present, there’s a chance you’ll end up with a problem. Mold can cause odors in your home, unsightly marks on the walls and health problems. So, what’s the solution? Mold abatement is the only answer.
The cost of mold removal depends on different things. If only a small area is affected, you can probably do the job on your own. Visit a home improvement store and get some cleaning products. You can even try non-ammonia soap or detergent. Make sure to wear gloves, and dry the surface when you’re done. You should also remember that spores spread when disturbed. So be careful when you’re cleaning the area.
For larger problems, you’ll need professional help. The mold removal process can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. The larger the area to be treated, the more money you can expect to pay. If structural damage is present, you have to figure in repair costs. When it’s all over, you might end up paying a few thousand dollars.
Most molds are harmless. However, it doesn’t belong in your home. Hopefully, you can catch the problem before it spirals out of control. A preventative measure is to search for trouble spots. Any areas that are constantly damp or humid can lead to problems. If you notice condensation on the walls, that’s a potential mold problem as well.
Take care of problem areas before a problem actually develops. Look for and repair leaks in the pipes. Keep the walls in your bathroom dry. Make sure to wipe the walls with a towel after a shower. Dry wet carpets immediately, and don’t let wet clothes sit around in the hamper.
Is it Toxic?
As stated earlier, most molds are relatively harmless. However, some molds can cause serious sickness. Toxic mold should be removed from your home immediately. It can cause serious sickness, such as rashes, asthma, fatigue, bleeding lungs and more. If you or your family has experienced serious unexplained sickness, you might have a toxic situation in your home. If you suspect this, mold testing is recommended.
Mold testing can let you know exactly what’s happening in your home. If the results are negative, then you know the sickness is caused by something else. If the tests are positive, then you know mold removal is the next step.
In the case of a toxic situation, you might have to leave your home. Continuing to live in dangerous conditions can worsen your health. It’s not uncommon for people to seek shelter elsewhere until the problem is resolved.
Fixing the Problem
Hopefully, you can take care of your mold problem without any help. If you can’t, mold abatement will get the job done. Carefully consider the situation. If the problem is clearly too much for you to handle, call in an expert.