Subscribe via RSS Feed

Black Mold Is Dangerous Stuff

[ 0 ] April 19, 2010

Black mold is one of the most deadliest molds known to man. Also referred to as Stachybotrys, this toxic mold can be found growing on carpets, baseboards, drywall, ceilings or anywhere there is even the slightest amount of moisture. It can be found in basements, kitchens, bathrooms, in attics, under crawlspaces and even away from the home.

But, because this fungus is extremely toxic, anyone who comes into contact with its spores by either touch or inhaling can develop cold or flu-like symptoms, fatigue, headaches, earaches, hair loss, joint pain, memory loss, bleeding of the lungs and in some rare cases, death. No one is immune, and the toxic fungi is particularly dangerous to those who have weak immune systems like with the elderly and infants.

That’s why it’s extremely important that anyone who comes in contact with this particular fungus apply a mold removal treatment to the affected area immediately. This can be done  by either the homeowner if done with extreme caution and the growth is under 10 square feet or by hiring a professional who can assist the homeowner in removing these particular types of mold.

And while it may seem economical to try and save some money when it comes to the cost of mold remediation, you should never hire anyone that isn’t certified and licensed for inspecting mold.

Once you’ve found the right professional for the job, you should expect the inspection to take anywhere from a few hours to a few days, depending on the extent of the mold and the damage they’ve caused.

Depending on the company you hire, the inspection may consist of inspecting for various types of mold including water damage mold, testing for the different molds, testing for any moisture problems, testing for allergy problems such as pollen, pet dander and dust mites, and testing for the quality of air that is in your home.

One of the most common tests that the inspector may do is a swab test that is swiped across a growing mold and then sent to a lab for analysis. The testing may occur in crawlspaces, hidden areas, the attic, bathroom, basement, kitchen or anywhere there is a moisture problem.

The inspection may even consist of analyzing the areas outside of your home that may be showing signs of mold growth using moisture meter testing, thermal imagine, and humidity testing. These tests are done to identify the nature of the molds and to show the homeowner what steps are necessary in order to begin the mold clean up process, if there are toxic molds involved.

However, even when the mold is not toxic, removing the mold is still very important since spores from other less dangerous molds can still lead to serious allergy problems, sinus infections and so forth.

No mold is safe, no matter how you  look at it and a black mold is just asking for serious trouble no matter how little or much of it you have in your home. Do what’s necessary to keep you and your home safe.

Attic Mold Is More Common Than You Think

Attic Mold Is More Common Than You Think

[ 0 ] April 12, 2010

Attic Mold

 

moldAttic mold is a very common issue for many homeowners.  One of the most common reasons attics are notorious for moisture problems is because they’re usually not insulated properly.  And with the weather, our constant use of central heat and air systems, exhaust fans and even the shingles on the roof, can cause problems such as water damage mold to attics.

Yet, before you try to tackle that mold problem, you need to actually get to the source of the problem and repair it, otherwise those molds will just continue to come back. Then once you’ve eliminated your moisture problem, you can make mold removal your next step.

But, before you actually remove the mold, you need to know what types of mold you are dealing with. Most funguses that are found in attics are black, green, brown and white in color. They can be found on drywall, wood and even insulation in attics.

In order to identify where mold may be lurking, you should look for areas where discoloration or staining has occurred. You may also find small splotches or spots , or you may see a fine powdery substance on the affected surface area.

Keep in mind that while most molds are harmless, black mold is extremely toxic and is a far more serious problem that shouldn’t be taken lightly.  They acquire your full attention and you may even need professional expertise to remove the dangerous fungus. 

Once you’ve identified the molds and know where they are lurking, you’ll want to get rid of  the problem by removing any damaged surface areas that are covered with the fungus. Once the damaged area has been removed, you’ll need to apply a chemical that will destroy the fungus permanently and prevent it from coming back.

And although using a bleach solution on the affected moldy area may seem like a cheap fix, it’s not. Bleaching doesn’t work as a permanent solution simply because it’s not made to penetrate below the surface area where molds hide.

Also, keep in mind that while you may think you don’t have to worry about removing mold because you never use the area, it doesn’t mean you won’t be affected by the fungus. If you’re experiencing an unexplained illness, constant headaches, fatigue or the flu that just won’t go away, chances are you have a problem with mold.

And if your excuse is because you can’t get to the mold, then it’s time to call in a professional to get the job done. A mold removal professional not only has experience in removing mold, he or she also has the proper equipment that will allow them to properly remove and dispose of the fungus problem.

Remember, ignoring a mold problem will not make it go away. It will however, make it worse if it’s left untreated. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry when it comes to mold growing in your home. Your family’s safety depends on it no matter where the problem may lie and attic mold is certainly no exception.

Page 22 of 27« First...10...2021222324...Last »