Subscribe via RSS Feed
Toxic Mold Facts You Need to Know

Toxic Mold Facts You Need to Know

[ 0 ] July 12, 2010

Toxic Mold

There are many different types of mold. Most are harmless, but some cause health problems. Toxic mold is one type that makes people and animals sick because it produces mycotoxin. A mycotoxin is a dangerous product produced by some fungi.

Kids, animals and people with allergies normally react negatively to most types of mold. However, mycotoxins are more likely to cause health problems in anyone – even if they are healthy with a strong immune system. Possible health complications include asthma, headaches and rashes. Loss of memory and lung problems is possible as well.

One problem is mold releases spores when disturbed. The spores are invisible to the human eye. They could be anywhere in your home. The spores would remain undetected until they started to grow.

Even if the spores never grow, people can inhale them. If the spores accumulate around the home, anyone visiting will breathe the spore-infested air. In the case of toxic fungi, this is how the spores cause sickness and irritate the lungs.
 
The most common type of toxic mold is called Stachybotrys chartarum. It is recognizable by its greenish-black color and slimy appearance. It grows on moist materials that contain cellulose. Items that contain cellulose include drywall, paper and wood.

This type of fungi doesn’t grow on cement or tile, so you won’t find it on the tile in your bathroom. However, if you have a bathroom window, it can grow on the wooden window frame. It can also grow on the bathroom ceiling.

Even if the mold in your home is not toxic, you still need to get rid of it. The problem will not go away on its own. It will only get worse, and continue to destroy items in your home. Eventually, the air quality will worsen. Your home might even start to smell musty.

Mold Removal

Mold removal is sometimes a complicated process. Removing a small amount from a bathroom is not a big deal. All you need is a mold remover, some gloves and time to complete the task.  It’s not that simple when a large area is involved.

If you need to clean more than 30 square feet of space, a professional is the best idea. That’s a significant amount of space, and special care is required to remove the mold without spreading spores. The goal is to remove the threat, determine its origin and eliminate the problem.

There’s also the matter of the cleaning process. Depending on which method is used, odors and spores may spread. A professional can use barriers made of plastic or other material to block the infected area. The barriers prevent spores from contaminating surrounding areas. After cleaning, the professional can also check to make sure no spores have spread.

Getting rid of toxic mold is a professional job. Doing it yourself is risky because you could spread the spores. Based on what you know about the toxic fungi, you should be able to recognize it. If you think your home is contaminated, contact a professional for help.

Mold Removal Companies Can Be Expensive

Mold Removal Companies Can Be Expensive

[ 0 ] July 12, 2010

Mold Removal Companies

There are dozens of mold removal companies waiting for your call. That’s understandable, especially since mold removal service isn’t cheap. Nor is it something you should do on a whim. You should only contact one of these companies if you seriously need help. Unless you have money to throw away, wait before calling for professional help. However, you should call for help if you think the situation is serious.

Mold can cause all types of health hazards. Small children, animals, and people with allergies are most often affected. The elderly are at risk as well. Mold exposure can cause breathing problems like asthma. Some people might even develop a rash or bad cough. Constant headaches are also possible. If this is happening to anyone in your home, mold could be the cause.

If the person’s symptoms clear up when they leave the home, that’s a clue the environment is the problem. Even if you don’t see the evidence, the problem could be hidden in the walls or under the floorboards. If you suspect the air in your home is making someone sick, you should inspect your home before calling for outside help.

You might have a simple problem of mold or mildew in the bathroom. Perhaps you have some growing on a basement wall. If you find the source, it’s possible you can also remove it. As long as the problem isn’t too big, cleaning the area should be simple.
Mix distilled vinegar and water in a spray bottle.

Wear rubber or plastic gloves during the process to protect your hands. Saturate the area with the mixture and let it sit for three to four minutes. Get a cloth or sponge and wipe the area clean. That should solve the problem in the case of a small area. 

The rooms most often affected include bathrooms, kitchens and basements. Those areas are often damp and dark, which is the perfect place for all types of fungi to prosper. Look for growths that have an appearance like fur or cotton. The colors are normally green, white or gray. Toxic mold is normally very dark, like black mold. If you suspect it in your home, you need to start considering mold removal companies right away.

You should research any company you plan on using. There have been incidents of unqualified, unscrupulous companies taking people’s money. For complex situations, the cleaning process isn’t simple. The company might have to look inside your walls or under your floorboards. It’s important to get a reliable company.

Look for companies that have at least 2 years in the business. Search for reviews online, check with the Better Business Bureau and ask around town.

Get an estimate before doing business with any mold removal companies. You want good service, but at a reasonable price. Avoid panicking and hiring the first service that responds. You need to take care of the problem, and you must find the right company to get the job done.

Page 5 of 27« First...34567...1020...Last »