Some homeowners see mold and panic. They have no idea how to get rid of mold, and they go into panic mode. There’s no need to panic because it’s a common problem. However, dealing with the problem can be disgusting and difficult for some homeowners. Additionally, it is unsightly to see this disgusting stuff growing in your home.
Aside from its ugly appearance, mold actually can cause serious health risks. This doesn’t happen often, but it’s a possibility.
People exposed can often experience respiratory diseases, allergic reactions and in some cases, more severe health problems. Remember, this is unlikely to occur. The best thing you can do is get rid of the mold. Depending on the severity of the situation, you can possibly handle the job on your own.
Here are some important things to consider:
1. Mold loves wet and warm areas. If your home has high humidity levels, you should take action to remove some of the humidity from the air. Doing this is easier than it sounds. Invest in a high-quality dehumidifier.
The machines can be purchased from home improvement stores, and are usually moderately priced. Some of them even measure the levels of humidity in your home. Levels between 30% to 50% are recommended. During the summer months, an air conditioner can work just as well as a dehumidifier.
2. If the mold problem is in a small area around the house, it can usually be cleaned with household cleaning products. A mixture of distilled vinegar and baking soda should get the job done.
Just apply the paste, let it sit and clean it away with a cloth or sponge. You can also try mold removal products available at your local hardware store. Open a window or door and air out the area when you’re done.
It is important that you wear protective clothing such as long sleeves, pants, masks and gloves to prevent exposure during your mold removal project. Breathing in mold spores or toxic chemicals can affect your breathing.
3. You cannot remove mold from porous materials such as the drywall, wallpaper, carpet, certain fabric and other porous surfaces. Some things just can’t be cleaned. If that’s the case, you’ll have to throw these items out.
You might be able to remove mildew from fabrics if you catch the problem soon enough. Otherwise, the stains are there to stay.
4. Check for mold problems in common trouble spots. Check the walls in your bathroom and underneath the sink. Check your shower curtain as well. Look for spots that indicate a water leak. Brown spots on the walls or a sagging ceiling could indicate a leak. If that’s the case, mold could grow where you’d never see it. Take care of any leaks as soon as possible.
If the problem is just too much to handle, call in the professionals. A professional mold removal service will know exactly how to get rid of mold. You’ll have to sit back, relax and let someone else take care of the problem.