Subscribe via RSS Feed

Tag: "allergic to black mold"

Water Damage Mold and How to Deal with It Effectively

[ 0 ] January 28, 2010

There are few scourges in this world more devastating and insidious than that of water damage mold.  Called black mold, it is a fungus whose spores are in the air all the time and will remain rather benign until it comes in contact with moisture. This is where it can silently and quickly begin to grow and spread. 

It can happen in an unventilated bathroom, poorly ventilated cellar and especially on the walls on the north side of a home where damp tends to condense. 

It is also comes in the wake of floods and hurricanes.  In a matter of days, the grayish then black mold begins to show in small but growing colonies till they merge to larger and larger patches of gray black.

No matter what the item is – whether it’s wood, vinyl, carpeting, paint – it can be overtaken by mold.  Is there a way to get rid of it then prevent it from future infestation?   Here are some ideas gleaned from those who have successfully dealt with water damage mold overgrowth.

Obviously, the smaller the area you need to deal with, the easier the mold removal will be.  So if you see signs of mold in your bathroom or the north walls of your house, especially in closets and tight spaces, now is the time to get after it.  If you have a good vacuum cleaner that is meant to handle mold spores, thoroughly vacuum that area, brushing the walls and furniture.

Make a strong solution of bleach in warm water.  Protect areas you don’t want to come in contact with the bleach solution. Wearing gloves, with the area well ventilated, wash down the moldy areas, leaving the bleach solution to air dry.  You should see the mold visibly fade due to the bleach.  It helps to have a fan or heater to dry the area more quickly.

Some folks have found solutions of colloidal silver or hydrogen peroxide can kill black mold but they are trickier to deal with or more expensive. Another idea, if you can afford it is to have an ozone generator.  Ozone kills mold on contact.

If the area is too large to treat (like a whole house after a flood), you may have to have the insurance company out to inspect the damage to see if the house can be repaired or rebuilt, assuming you have flood insurance.

Black mold is also a dangerous allergen.  More and more people are finding they are allergic to black mold and have to take drastic measures to deal with it.  Some have the entire house repainted in special mold inhibiting paints.  The heat must be decentralized, the reason being that mold spores will be pulled into the ducts and blow all over the home. So, local or in floor heating becomes a necessary solution.

Since mold can never be completely gotten rid of, there is always the chance of re-growth so you must plan regular inspection and cleaning of areas prone to water damage mold.