Subscribe via RSS Feed

Tag: "mold clean up"

Residential Mold Removal Tips

[ 0 ] May 6, 2010

Residential Mold Removal

Residential mold removal is a must no matter what type of home you’re planning to own. And while it’s pretty obvious that older homes can become very susceptible to mold, even more surprising in the fact that a brand new home that has just been built can as well.

Black mold can be extremely dangerous and is often a common problem for those who live in a climate with a lot of humidity. Black mold is very toxic and can cause respiratory problems, nausea, dizziness urinary tract infections, memory loss, nose bleeds, ear aches, blurry vision, hearing loss, and other serious health related problems when you’re exposed to it.

So, if you’re thinking about purchasing an older home, you’ll want to  request to have a professional inspection done for mold before you make that final deal. Otherwise, you may be in for a really nasty lawsuit if you purchase the home and discover it has some serious structural damage due to mold.

And if you do find that the home you’re interested in does have mold, the inspector can advise you as to whether or not you it will be worth hiring a professional mold removal service to save your dream home or at the very least have the prior owner foot the bill.

Even a new home is in danger of becoming a breeding ground for many types of mold. In fact, there are some types of drywall that can actually absorb moisture and give mold a place to grow. And while you may not even see the mold until after the home is built, you’ll definitely want to find out what types of materials are being used to build your new dream home.

Keep in mind however that older and new homes inspections shouldn’t just consist of just single family dwellings. Mobile homes and even RV homes can become susceptible to problems like water damage mold due to the simple building materials used and harsh weather conditions.

Renting a home can also be just as frustrating if you’re not prepared. And while most landlords may not be agreeable to an inspection for mold should you decide to rent a home, you can easily tell if there is a problem if you smell a musty aroma anywhere in the home or you visually see mold on the ceilings or walls. If however, you’ve already rented the home and discover a mold problem, you can always call the city and explain the problem if the landlord refuses to have the mold removed.

In addition, if you’ve moved into a home that you’ve purchased and discovered a mold problem that’s been happening for a while, you may be able to recoup some losses from the damages done by the mold and services needed to repair those damages, depending on your state’s laws.

Or if you know that the mold clean up won’t be too serious, you could always just do the work yourself and forget about it or you could hire a residential mold removal company to help you get your home feeling like a true home again.

Mildew Removal Tips

[ 3 ] May 5, 2010

Mildew Removal

Mildew removal isn’t just as easy as scrubbing down your shower walls. There’s more to it than that. In fact, this particular mold can be found just about anywhere there is moisture – from the bathroom to the kitchen and even your bedroom.

And when it comes to dealing with this bothersome fungus, we tend to just grab a kitchen or bathroom mold removal product and spray away! However, not all cleaners work the same just as not all molds are the same.

And although mildew is not as harmful as some types of mold, they can still cause allergy problems in some people if they’re not cleaned up.

But before you even decide on the right cleaner for this particular type of fungus, you need to know if that’s what you’re really dealing with or if it’s something more serious like a toxic mold. If it’s fuzzy in texture and gray or white in color, then chances are you’re dealing with mildew.

If it’s black or dark gray spots, then you most likely have a toxic fungus know as black mold and you’ll need a more serious mold clean up regimen.

If you know you’re not dealing with a toxic fungus, then it’s probably safe enough to just use a good cleaner designed for mildew. But, you’ll still want to choose the right cleaner even for this job.

For example, a bathroom tile spray, may not work quite as well on a kitchen counter top. And if you’re concerned about the environment or your health, you’ll want to stay away from mold cleaners that contain harmful chemicals like bleach or ammonia.

The good news is many manufacturers including some big name brands are getting on the bandwagon and offering greener cleaning products for just about every household job you can think of, including removing mold.

Still, with everyone wanting to reduce their budget, it’s often more economical to just make your own cleaning products when you can.

If you’d rather save as much money as you can, you might want to try using a simple mixture of hot water and baking soda to get rid of the fungus. If the surface area is more delicate such as a leather purse, you can dry brush the affected area using a soft bristle brush and then wash it using soap and water.

If you choose this method, you should clean the item outdoors to prevent spores from the fungus from spreading to other areas of your home.

Some items that are affected by mildewing may benefit from a mixture of lemon juice and salt, which can be rubbed onto the surface area. However, because lemon is a natural lightening agent, it’s not a good idea to use it on fabric materials since it could fade them.

And speaking of fabrics, if you absolutely must rely on bleach for your mildew removal purposes, a mixture of two tablespoons of bleach and one quart of warm water applied to white fabrics that are affected by the fungus may help.

However, it is not wise to use bleach on other materials since the chemical cannot penetrate below most surface areas where mold tends to hide.

Page 1 of 512345