Subscribe via RSS Feed

Tag: "mold removal product"

Mildew Removal Tips

[ 3 ] May 5, 2010

Mildew Removal

Mildew removal isn’t just as easy as scrubbing down your shower walls. There’s more to it than that. In fact, this particular mold can be found just about anywhere there is moisture – from the bathroom to the kitchen and even your bedroom.

And when it comes to dealing with this bothersome fungus, we tend to just grab a kitchen or bathroom mold removal product and spray away! However, not all cleaners work the same just as not all molds are the same.

And although mildew is not as harmful as some types of mold, they can still cause allergy problems in some people if they’re not cleaned up.

But before you even decide on the right cleaner for this particular type of fungus, you need to know if that’s what you’re really dealing with or if it’s something more serious like a toxic mold. If it’s fuzzy in texture and gray or white in color, then chances are you’re dealing with mildew.

If it’s black or dark gray spots, then you most likely have a toxic fungus know as black mold and you’ll need a more serious mold clean up regimen.

If you know you’re not dealing with a toxic fungus, then it’s probably safe enough to just use a good cleaner designed for mildew. But, you’ll still want to choose the right cleaner even for this job.

For example, a bathroom tile spray, may not work quite as well on a kitchen counter top. And if you’re concerned about the environment or your health, you’ll want to stay away from mold cleaners that contain harmful chemicals like bleach or ammonia.

The good news is many manufacturers including some big name brands are getting on the bandwagon and offering greener cleaning products for just about every household job you can think of, including removing mold.

Still, with everyone wanting to reduce their budget, it’s often more economical to just make your own cleaning products when you can.

If you’d rather save as much money as you can, you might want to try using a simple mixture of hot water and baking soda to get rid of the fungus. If the surface area is more delicate such as a leather purse, you can dry brush the affected area using a soft bristle brush and then wash it using soap and water.

If you choose this method, you should clean the item outdoors to prevent spores from the fungus from spreading to other areas of your home.

Some items that are affected by mildewing may benefit from a mixture of lemon juice and salt, which can be rubbed onto the surface area. However, because lemon is a natural lightening agent, it’s not a good idea to use it on fabric materials since it could fade them.

And speaking of fabrics, if you absolutely must rely on bleach for your mildew removal purposes, a mixture of two tablespoons of bleach and one quart of warm water applied to white fabrics that are affected by the fungus may help.

However, it is not wise to use bleach on other materials since the chemical cannot penetrate below most surface areas where mold tends to hide.

Mold Removers Are Not All the Same

[ 0 ] April 24, 2010

Mold Removers

Mold removers are vital when it comes to removing mold from your home and even outside of it. But, one of the biggest mistakes many homeowners make is to just grab any product to clean up the mold and then complain when it doesn’t do the job.

Most mold cleaners are not created equally. So while a bathroom cleaner may work on cleaning those moldy tiles, it probably won’t work on getting the mold out of your living room carpet.

In addition, not every product will be environmental friendly either. Some will be full of harsh chemicals while others will be made with all-natural ingredients that are safe for the environment.

And of course some mold removal products will be far more expensive than others, which of course is usually the very reason many homeowners just pick a product and go!

And yes, you may have to spend just a few extra dollars on an environmentally safe product, but in the end it will be worth it.

One of the biggest reasons you should choose a green product verses one that is made strictly from toxic chemicals is the very same reason you’re cleaning up the mold from your home in the first place, because they’re dangerous to your health and the environment you live in.

In fact, most chemicals can be far more dangerous than some molds and can cause your health issues themselves. Of course some types of mold can be extremely toxic and just as dangerous since they can cause respiratory failure, memory loss and in rare cases, death.

So why would you want to combine two very dangerous substances that could cause serious damage to your health?

So what it all comes down to is this. Maybe it’s time to use a mold removal product that not only is designed specifically for the job at hand, but also one that is all-natural and safe for the environment as well as your health.

And just because a product states that they‘re a safer alternative, don’t be fooled! Many manufacturers want you to believe that their products are up to standards with our greener world, when really they can get away with disguising their ingredients to make it seem like a safer alternative and still contain dangerous chemicals.

Always read the ingredient label. If you find that there are words in the list that you can’t pronounce, then chances are it’s not natural. If you can’t find an ingredient label for the product, check online for the product’s information. And if you’re just unsure of what mold clean up product is best for your situation, do a little online research.

There’s really nothing you can’t find online about mold and mold removal products (even some natural ones) that others haven’t already tried in situations that are probably similar to your own.

Once you have the right mold removers for the job, you can be sure it one take long to rid those molds out of your home once and for all.

Page 1 of 212