Subscribe via RSS Feed

Tag: "remove the mold"

Toxic Mold Facts You Need to Know

Toxic Mold Facts You Need to Know

[ 0 ] July 12, 2010

Toxic Mold

There are many different types of mold. Most are harmless, but some cause health problems. Toxic mold is one type that makes people and animals sick because it produces mycotoxin. A mycotoxin is a dangerous product produced by some fungi.

Kids, animals and people with allergies normally react negatively to most types of mold. However, mycotoxins are more likely to cause health problems in anyone – even if they are healthy with a strong immune system. Possible health complications include asthma, headaches and rashes. Loss of memory and lung problems is possible as well.

One problem is mold releases spores when disturbed. The spores are invisible to the human eye. They could be anywhere in your home. The spores would remain undetected until they started to grow.

Even if the spores never grow, people can inhale them. If the spores accumulate around the home, anyone visiting will breathe the spore-infested air. In the case of toxic fungi, this is how the spores cause sickness and irritate the lungs.
 
The most common type of toxic mold is called Stachybotrys chartarum. It is recognizable by its greenish-black color and slimy appearance. It grows on moist materials that contain cellulose. Items that contain cellulose include drywall, paper and wood.

This type of fungi doesn’t grow on cement or tile, so you won’t find it on the tile in your bathroom. However, if you have a bathroom window, it can grow on the wooden window frame. It can also grow on the bathroom ceiling.

Even if the mold in your home is not toxic, you still need to get rid of it. The problem will not go away on its own. It will only get worse, and continue to destroy items in your home. Eventually, the air quality will worsen. Your home might even start to smell musty.

Mold Removal

Mold removal is sometimes a complicated process. Removing a small amount from a bathroom is not a big deal. All you need is a mold remover, some gloves and time to complete the task.  It’s not that simple when a large area is involved.

If you need to clean more than 30 square feet of space, a professional is the best idea. That’s a significant amount of space, and special care is required to remove the mold without spreading spores. The goal is to remove the threat, determine its origin and eliminate the problem.

There’s also the matter of the cleaning process. Depending on which method is used, odors and spores may spread. A professional can use barriers made of plastic or other material to block the infected area. The barriers prevent spores from contaminating surrounding areas. After cleaning, the professional can also check to make sure no spores have spread.

Getting rid of toxic mold is a professional job. Doing it yourself is risky because you could spread the spores. Based on what you know about the toxic fungi, you should be able to recognize it. If you think your home is contaminated, contact a professional for help.

Attic Mold Is More Common Than You Think

Attic Mold Is More Common Than You Think

[ 0 ] April 12, 2010

Attic Mold

 

moldAttic mold is a very common issue for many homeowners.  One of the most common reasons attics are notorious for moisture problems is because they’re usually not insulated properly.  And with the weather, our constant use of central heat and air systems, exhaust fans and even the shingles on the roof, can cause problems such as water damage mold to attics.

Yet, before you try to tackle that mold problem, you need to actually get to the source of the problem and repair it, otherwise those molds will just continue to come back. Then once you’ve eliminated your moisture problem, you can make mold removal your next step.

But, before you actually remove the mold, you need to know what types of mold you are dealing with. Most funguses that are found in attics are black, green, brown and white in color. They can be found on drywall, wood and even insulation in attics.

In order to identify where mold may be lurking, you should look for areas where discoloration or staining has occurred. You may also find small splotches or spots , or you may see a fine powdery substance on the affected surface area.

Keep in mind that while most molds are harmless, black mold is extremely toxic and is a far more serious problem that shouldn’t be taken lightly.  They acquire your full attention and you may even need professional expertise to remove the dangerous fungus. 

Once you’ve identified the molds and know where they are lurking, you’ll want to get rid of  the problem by removing any damaged surface areas that are covered with the fungus. Once the damaged area has been removed, you’ll need to apply a chemical that will destroy the fungus permanently and prevent it from coming back.

And although using a bleach solution on the affected moldy area may seem like a cheap fix, it’s not. Bleaching doesn’t work as a permanent solution simply because it’s not made to penetrate below the surface area where molds hide.

Also, keep in mind that while you may think you don’t have to worry about removing mold because you never use the area, it doesn’t mean you won’t be affected by the fungus. If you’re experiencing an unexplained illness, constant headaches, fatigue or the flu that just won’t go away, chances are you have a problem with mold.

And if your excuse is because you can’t get to the mold, then it’s time to call in a professional to get the job done. A mold removal professional not only has experience in removing mold, he or she also has the proper equipment that will allow them to properly remove and dispose of the fungus problem.

Remember, ignoring a mold problem will not make it go away. It will however, make it worse if it’s left untreated. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry when it comes to mold growing in your home. Your family’s safety depends on it no matter where the problem may lie and attic mold is certainly no exception.

Page 1 of 212