Aside from its disgusting appearance, mold can cause severe damage to both your property and the health of your family. It’s great for cheese, but you don’t want it growing in your home. It can destroy your home because they will feed on its structure and foundation. Furthermore, prolonged exposure can lead to respiratory problems, colds, sinus congestions, nasal problems, coughing, and skin problems. A person with asthma can also have frequent attacks when in the presence of mold. Mold removal can make your home safe again.
Mold can usually be found in paper or wood, areas in your home that are mostly damp and dark. They can easily settle under the carpet padding and cabinets and even your kitchen. Therefore, it is of vital importance that you should remove mold from your home as soon as possible.
Do It Yourself Mold Removal
1. Your safety should always come first when removing mold. Use a respirator or mask to prevent spores from getting into your lungs. Wear rubber gloves, long sleeves and pants during the cleaning process.
2. Reduce the moisture in your home by using fans or dehumidifiers to dry out your home.
3. Fix leaky faucets and other plumbing devices in your house to prevent moisture from getting in and causing water damage mold.
4. For visible mold growth on wood floors or studs, the best way of removing them is to sand them down. Nevertheless, you should hire a professional to do this since this could be dangerous. Contact a certified professional to help you with this concern.
5. After removing the physical problem, use a commercial disinfectant such as bleach and water solution, which should contain one-fourth bleach for each gallon of water. Apply this in the infected material and let the solution do its work for 15 minutes. Later, you can rinse the area with water and allow it to dry.
6. Prevent or remove growth on cleanable items by washing them with laundry or dish detergent, hot water and a stiff brush. Cleanable materials include metal, concrete, glazed ceramic, hard tile and hard plastic.
7. Sprinkle or dampen water on mold-infested materials. This can effectively prevent airborne mold from spreading in the air. Use non-ammonia soap or detergent in cleaning hard surfaces, which includes glass, metals and plastics.
8. Keep your home clean and dry at all times. Make it a habit to clean your home regularly. This will make your home an intolerable place for molds to stay and grow. You may also use these for cleaning kitchen, counter tops or bathroom tiles. Keep in mind never to mix ammonia with bleach because they could give out fumes that are toxic and can harm your body.
Mold removal is sometimes a very simple process. You can probably do it yourself in most cases. However, sometimes you need professional help. Consider the facts of the situation. If the mold problem is too big for you to tackle, call in a professional team.