Water Damage Black Mold
Mold belongs to a group of fungi that consists of over a million species. Aside from looking bad in your home, most molds don’t cause any problems. However, black mold is a different story. It’s a greenish-black toxic organism, which could result in serious health hazards. You definitely don’t want to see it in your home. Water damage can cause it to grow. Then you have to deal with water damage black mold removal.
Signs of a Toxic Situation
Signs of black mold should be something you’re familiar with. Every homeowner should be aware of and take mold removal steps to get rid of this harmful organism. It’s also important to note that just like with any kind of toxin, there are people who are more sensitive than others. People with respiratory disease or allergies should be particularly cautious.
Black mold symptoms vary from person to person. The most common symptoms are difficulty concentrating, light-headedness and headaches. Furthermore, allergy-driven responses are also common such as coughing, watery eyes, throat irritation and sneezing.
This toxic mold can grow just about anywhere. It’s commonly found in ceiling tiles, water-soaked wood, cardboard and paneling. It can also grow on insulation and drywall, and can grow in walls, ceilings and floors. Basements and bathrooms are the rooms most often affected.
When you are planning to clean up this type of problem, you should first understand the extent of the problem. In fact, it’s a good idea to have your home tested. You can purchase mold testing kits from home improvement stores.
Take the kit home, get a sample of the mold and place it into a container that comes with the kit. Send it off, and a lab tests the sample. You’ll find out if there’s cause for alarm.
Another option is to call a local mold removal company to check your home. That might be easier if you don’t want to deal with collecting samples. The company can inspect your home and provide an idea of the type of mold you have. However, they’ll probably have to run a test as well. If you do have a toxic problem, the company will tell you how to proceed.
If possible, children should be sent away from the place before proceeding to clean up the mold. Spores can get into the air and into the children’s lungs. Additionally, any person who is involved in the cleaning and eradication process should wear protective clothing, mask and gloves. Seal the room off from the rest of the house if possible.
Your main concern should be with water damage black mold removal. Even if there are other damages to the area, you can probably put them on hold. Getting rid of the water damage mold should be your first priority. Cleaning can be a long and tedious process, but it’s worth the trouble.
You and your family will breathe easier knowing the threat has been eliminated. To avoid further problems, keep your home clean and dry. That’s the perfect way to stop mold before it starts.