Subscribe via RSS Feed

Water Damage Mold Can Be Dangerous to Your Health

[ 0 ] January 28, 2010 |

Water Damage Mold

Generally where there’s water damage, there’s also mold. Not too long ago I noticed that there was a leak under my kitchen sink. I wouldn’t have even noticed had it not been for the moldy smell that began drifting out from under my cabinets. I never use the area, so there was no reason for me to check the area. So in all honesty, I’m thankful for that moldy smell, yet I wonder how long the leak had been going on.

Black mold is toxic and in most cases when you have a leak it’s a dangerous problem. Black mold can cause allergic reactions, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, memory loss and in rare cases, death. The smaller your lungs are the more dangerous the stuff can be, so it’s extremely toxic to pets and infants. And while you may think your infants are safe from harm’s way, remember pets are always curious and the kitchen is one of their favorite hang out spots.

That’s why it’s very important that water damage mold be cleaned up immediately and that leak fixed! But before you get started with your mold removal, you need to keep pets and children away from the kitchen and open every window that you can in the area.

Then, your first priority is to find the area that is leaking and seal it off. For me it was a loose pipe connection, which needed replaced. It took me about 1 hour to replace the pipe and cost me a little under around $20 in supplies. Be sure to dispose of any moldy pipes by placing them in a sealed bag and removing them from your home immediately. Also when you’re working around toxic fungus like this one, you need to wear rubber gloves and a mask to protect your health.

Once you’ve fixed the leaking area, you need to remove any remaining moisture there. You can dry the area using an old towel, which you should dispose of. If you’re considering a hair dryer, don’t. The reason is because hairdryers will blow around the toxic mold, which can cause more problems in the future.

After you’ve soaked up the remaining moisture, your next step is to remove any moldy items and place them in a sealed bag just like the pipes you disposed of. I know this may seem like an expensive task, but it’s better to throw away $50 dollars worth of cleaning supplies than risk a $500 trip to the hospital for black mold exposure.

Next you’ll need to remove the toxic molds. You can do so with a product that is specifically made for this type of job. I recommend one that is environmentally safe and easy on the lungs since your health is extremely important.

Please do not use bleach to remove the problem. I understand that many people believe bleach is an effective solution, but what we’ve now learned is that it doesn’t absorb through surfaces, which means the molds are only temporarily removed and can come back in the near future. You must use a mold removal product which will absorb deep into the surfaces and remove the problem permanently!

Finally, after you’ve removed the water damage mold, check to make sure that there is no remaining moisture or water damage from the leak. You may need to keep an eye on things for the next week or so just to make sure everything is sealed tight and is moisture free. After all, toxic molds are not something that can just be ignored!

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Water Damage Mold

About Editor: The Mold Removal Review is a division of a U.S. Gulf Coast based consumer advocate information provider whose goal is to provide consumers with up to date information on high-demand goods and services related to mold removal. View author profile.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.